Matthew 9-17

Matthew 9-17 reveals the power of Jesus Christ himself. In many of the sub headings throughout 9-17, it shows how they state how Jesus uses his power to help many for example, in genesis 9 it states “Jesus heals a palsied man” then following after it states “two blind men receive sight.” Jesus and his disciples go around healing the sick in every city. One thing that stood out to me was in Genesis 11, verse 36-38. Jesus stated that if we love our father and mother more than him then we are not worthy of him. This made me feel a little angry towards the statement because it is quite hard to not have immense love your parents. I felt as if it were a requirement that was not necessary in believing in God due to the fact that you can equally love Jesus as much as you do to your parents so therefore I found that it was a bit to extra. Following that statement, Jesus stated “and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.” In my Philosophy class we were told,” A parent will always love their child more than a child will love their parent” applying that to what Jesus demanded, it contradicts what is required. It reflects a sense of selfishness for the acceptance of God. Even though Abraham was willing to sacrifice his first and only son in the Old Testament, I do feel as if that it should not be a requirement in order to be a firm believer in God. Another thing that I noticed is a recurrent theme of doubt. Significantly, I noticed the doubt of Peter who tried to walk on water to head to Jesus and felt himself sinking because he did not have enough faith. There are many that follow Jesus but reveal that they question their belief in the end, even when Jesus foretells his death he reveals how he will be betrayed.