Oedipus

Reading oedipus once again has brought me back to high school, sat me down in the back row but instead of reading blindly, a second read informed me with much more. I believe that the play was able to stimulate many feelings not to the character but mainly to the audience due to one element. In that being said the play works the dramatic Irony, it is pretty obvious that Oedipus fulfills the prophecy but it is only obvious to us and not the characters themselves. I believe that stimulates the audience to be attentive to his actions questioning if his choices will lead him to the fate that was given to him or will he be able to break that and act on his free will.  Based on the text, “Now if he still uses that same number, I was not the one who killed him. One man cannot be the same as many. But if he speaks clearly of one man on his own, indeed the guilty balance tilts toward me.” This gave us the idea already of the prophecy has started to come about. Not only did it reveal the dramatic irony but it foreshadowed the sequence of events as it hints a bit of regret that Oedipus has.